Tuesday, October 6, 2009

1st and 2nd Chronicles

1st and 2nd Chronicles are, sorry God, the most pointless books of the Bible. I'm not kidding. They are the exact same story as 1st and 2nd Kings. Only told in much more boring language and with a lot of genealogy thrown in.

I'm kind of surprised that Chapter 13 mentions trumpets. I wonder if the author really meant the kind of trumpets we know today or if the instrument was merely lost in translation.

I thought it was kind of cool that God assigned different talents to different tribes. For example, the Levites were good singers, according to Chapter 15.

One important part of 1st Chronicles: chapter 17, where God outlines his plan for Jesus. Kind of interesting.

I think Chapter 21 is one of the first times in the Bible we actually hear about Satan, when he tempts David to take a census...I don't get it...what's satanic about taking a census?

Even though David does some really stupid things, it is obvious that he found such favor in God's eyes because he was such a moral man, demonstrated when Ornan offers to give him things for his offering but David insists on paying for them.

The first part I liked about 2nd Chronicles was how the Israeli people welcome the Gentile with open arms and invite him to pray with them.

It was interesting learning that Soloman received "gold, silver, ivory, apes, and peacocks" from Tarshish. Somehow I can't see the wise Soloman playing with a monkey...

In Chapter 13 of the second book, Abijah says that God gave Israel to them "by a covenant of salt." I wonder what that means...

No comments:

Post a Comment