Monday, November 9, 2009

Solomon: The Hef of the Bible

A lot of preachers I've heard over the years have tried to justify Song of Solomon as "the way Christ is supposed to feel about his Church." No. It's about sex.

While most of the book seems like the lame guy at the bar trying to pick up girls by reciting poetry, there are some romantic bits. For example, the woman says that her "soul" loves the man, and I thought that sounded nice.

One weird part is how they keep saying that each other's teeth are "like a flock of sheep." I don't really understand how teeth look anything like sheep...

He keeps calling her "my sister." Maybe just a weird translation.

Also, I didn't get how her breasts looked like deer.

"I would lead thee, and bring thee into my mother's house, who would instruct me." On what? Seems like kind of a strange thing for a mother to teach her daughter.

"I would cause thee to drink of the spiced wine of the juice of my pomegranate." Her pomegranate? Is she talking about what I think she's talking about? Kinky...

No comments:

Post a Comment