Monday, November 9, 2009

Isaiah: one of my favorites so far

So we move into one of the most pointless books of the Bible to one of the most important. Isaiah, as evidenced by my poem, is (along with Esther) one of my favorite books of the Bible so far, just because I think the prophecy books are really cool.

"the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet." Great imagery here. I can just see self-important women strutting around. Not much has changed since B.C. Israel...

The part about the seraphim is the coolest thing I've read so far.

"And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots." Jesus! Yay!

This verse kind of hit home. For all the pro-choicers who say there is nothing in the Bible about abortion; I present this: "they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children."

One interesting facet I found in Isaiah (and later, in Jeremiah) are men saying that, during their "visions" or whatever you want to call them, they feel the pains of childbirth. Kind of interesting.

"And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of the darkness." This is where the lyrics to one of my favorite Christmas songs came from "Mary, Did You Know."

The next verse says "the meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord." Jesus re-iterates this in Matthew, in his Sermon on the Mount.

I like when Isaiah yells at the Israelites for their transgressions. He seems like the guy who would say all the things everyone was thinking but too afraid to say. He says, "Have ye not known? Have ye not heard? Hath it not been told you from the beginning?"

But then God reassures them and says, "When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the Lord will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them." God is kind of like an overprotective parent. He definitely punishes the Israelites when they do something wrong, yet he's still there for them when they really need him.

"their molten images are wind and confusion." I just really liked that verse.

God says, again, that he will take care of the Israelites: "Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb?"

God explains why good people die: "and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come." I never thought of it that way.

"And the Gentiles shall come to thy light" More prophesizing about Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment