Friday, December 4, 2009

Hosea through Malachi

All of the later Old Testament books seemed to be the same story over and over again to me; berating Israel for straying from God.

Hosea returns to the "whoredoms" motif, mentioning the word at least four more times. One verse even says "they have gone a whoring." I laughed, because I can just see some crazy hillbilly saying it...Later, he compares God to a father and Israel to a son, an interesting change from the husband-whore theme.

In Joel, he calls the Israelites "drunkards." Then he says that the "moon will turn into blood." That reminded me of a sleepover I went to in the seventh grade. The moon was red that night, and my friends and I were all convinced that the world was ending. We called our parents and everything, and were very concerned until our moms told us that this happened all the time, and that the world wasn't ending. I also noticed that, several times in the Old Testament, it says that land will "flow with milk." I just don't see why a stream would flow with milk. Is it supposed to be a simile for an abundance of food? I'm just not sure.

As someone who has not actually read Jonah before, I was surprised that such a popular and important book was so short. I always thought it was funny that Jonah tried to hide from God, just like Adam and Eve did. Where do these people get the thought that you can hide from God? I've also heard a lot of "scientists" say that it's impossible to spend three days in the belly of a fish. Why is it impossible? I hate how people try to disprove things just because they are in the Bible. If it was a Greek or Roman myth, we would have scientists out there trying to prove that it did happen. I think it could have really happened. Stranger things have happened.

I found it interesting that Micah mentions dragons. I have to wonder if there really were dragons around back then, even though we haven't found any evidence for them. I just find it odd that every group of people from all around the world has had a dragon myth. How would all those people write about the same creature if they never spoke to or saw each other?

Nahum: more horses, this time prancing ones with deadly horseman, and "whoredoms." Is "whoredoms" even a word?

Zechariah seems to be all about numerology. "Four horns, four carpenters, seven lamps, seven pipes, two olive trees..." and so on. There must be a meaning between all these numbers! Seven I can connect, but four and two? I thought the part where Zechariah predicts Jesus' riding on a donkey pretty cool.

That's all I've got for the rest of the Old Testament. I'll leave you with a picture of my new kitten, Scout (Named after Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird...my roommate's cat's name is Atticus. We are huge nerds). Just because she's damn cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment